Saturday, March 19, 2022

Foley Sound Ideas

 I remember earlier in the year when I learned about Foley sounds. The experience was something that I think goes under appreciated in film. It may seem like all the sounds are recorded on the spot when they are actually recorded on the side and mixed in in editing. In this article, I am going to discuss and write about what certain sounds I think should require a foley for sure. There may be more, but off the top of my head these are some that I am thinking of. 

Kicking Soccer Ball: This sound is something that needs to be used and heard in the film opening. When playing soccer, the athlete is able to hear the sound of the ball when they kick it (which in my opinion I find the sound satisfying). If the audience is viewing our main character Gabriel playing soccer, they should be able to hear the sound of the ball as well. A couple of ideas I have to create this sound is to either have a sneaker hit the ball stationary and record it or also I think the sound of clashing both of my sneakers together will also create a similar effect. 

Getting Phone Out of Bag and Carrying Bag: This sound will take place when Gabriel runs away from the soccer field. I remember from filming that the sling bag that I used did make some noise, but it probably wasn't picked up by the iPhone we were using to film. In order to make this sound we can utilize a bag or a fabric or plastic and rub that together to make the same sound the bag makes when the bag touches each other. 

Footsteps: The footsteps will more than likely be used within the house scene whenever there is movement of the characters. In my very short, but still valuable experience with foley, we used my back pack and mushing it together to sound like footsteps. We also did some walking on certain surface and recorded that as well to help depict what kind of steps we wanted and on what surface. I think that we can use these similar strategies for steps to go along with the film opening as well. 

These are a few sounds that I can think of off the top of my head that we can really use foley for. I believe that for other sounds we may need like the sounds of doors, or the sound of a computer we will probably just use by recording someone actually doing that instead of using a unique foley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Portfolio Project

Here is our Portfolio Project titled, Kicking It. We hope you enjoy it just as much as we did making it.